History of the Fort Calhoun Presbyterian Church
This church has a long history in Washington County, beginning in Blair NE in 1882. It expanded to the Fort Calhoun area in 1895 and became an official Presbyterian Church in 1904. By 1934 the church added its West room and dug a new basement. That same year the Festival Fair began and has continued on a smaller scale today known as our Annual Soup Supper.
In the 1950’s the church continued to grow and they added an organ to enhance the worship of God. The church was the center piece of community life holding Sunday school and youth groups that had between 60 and 90 youth, which led the church to add an education building in 1965 to accommodate the growth.
In 1973, the Vacation School program was held in conjunction with St. John’s Catholic Church and this practice continue to this day. A wonderful blessing to our community.
Today the church continues to grow and impact the community through a variety of programs and mission efforts. We are proud of helping the Washington County Food pantry, Increase the awareness of how people could recycle, and how we might help families through an after school program.
Our main goal is to be blessing to our community and beyond, and as we fulfill that goal our history will continue to be deep and lasting. We hope you will join us in this effort.